Royal Rumble in the 40th Millenium

Getting back big time into 40k lately, I had yet to try a multipayer game in the 7th edition. Thanks to my very understanding wife I was able to participate in such a game sunday, right after trying Batman the day before.
Chaos Space Marines and a detachment from the Astra Militarum were up to face each other, along with my Dark Angels.

...at the last minute the imperial guard got delayed and the Tau sent a hunter cadre to spread the greater good. The Tau player wanted to try its decurion formation....this was going to hurt!
The greater good never felt so good!
We settled on 1000pts lists, no flyers allowed, playing with tactical objectives to avoid camping by encouraging movement to score points. We also went for a shortened random game length, rolling at the end of turn 4 instead of turn 5.

The game ended 6 for the Tau, 6 for the Chaos Space Marines and 4 for the Dark Angels. Tactical objectives made this game really thight but otherwise the Tau really mastered the kill count. To add insult to injury, their commander got a trait that let them jetpack 3D6, making the command squad even more elusive than usual.
The Chaos Marines did a great job on objectives grabbing, slowly proceeding to the fight before the Tau blasted away their right flank entirely . They completely anihilated a squad of Berzerkers in their Rhino and a Maulerfiend before ducking away back to their gunline. Ouch. They did leave a single Raptor alive and this single model ended up being their doom, scoring the point that would tie the Chaos Worshipers up with the Tau.
As for myself I didn't score much before the last turn, where I managed to score 3 of my 4 points there, barely missing a fifth point. The first thing I noticed is how outnumbered I was; A squad of Deathwing terminators , two tactical squads in Rhinos, 3 Black Knights and two psykers (one in terminator armor) with an assault Bike in reserve that showed up on turn 4 and didn't even got to shoot at anything. I know I was playing a lot of high-cost models but still, the head count was very low compared to my two opponents!
I was under Tau fire all game long, deploying right in front of them. With  a few shots on my Deathwing on turn one where I managed to roll two 1s out of 3 armor saves, the Tau left me no choice but to hide all game. This was going to be a looong day for the Terminators!!! The dice were not with the emperor on that day...but I'm still proud to have finished the game with a few survivors and 4 points!
Overall I'd say that a multiplayer free-for-all game is not the best for 40k; it's long and if players don't know their rules by heart it's even longer. We spend a awful lot of time scrolling in the rulebook and codices validating basic rules and this really stole the tempo from the game. It was fun overall but I rather play one on one games to tell you the truth.

Here are a few shots as well as a brief recap of the brutal event that happened during this battle to remember!

The Battlefield part I
The Battlefield part II
Deathwing before the 2-out-of-3 armor save misses. The Black Knights hiding from Tau fire.
Brother Rufus looking at the Tau gunline.
Infiltrating Raptors wondering what side to assault.
The Brave Riptide hiding behind cover.
The Tau Gunline.
Riptide in sight!
The gunline: XV-88, Fire warriors and
the Riptide still courageously hiding behind the ruins!
Deepstriking drones !!! The first cultists ended up running away from them!!!
Khorne Berzerkers looking down at the Black Knights.
The Chaos Warlord and his cultists bodyguards arriving late!
Squad Redemtus disembarking right in the eye of the storm!
The Tau positioning for the right flank massacre!

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés